Professional Cat and Dog Teeth Cleaning in Madison, WI
The health of your pet’s teeth and gums is incredibly important to their overall well-being and longevity. Without proper dental care, pets can develop periodontal disease, which if left untreated, can significantly affect their systemic health. At Petcare Animal Hospital in Madison, WI, our veterinarians stay on top of your pet’s dental health with routine dental evaluations during your pet’s annual wellness exam. The sooner we catch dental problems, the more likely we’re able to prevent or even reverse disease progression with professional cat and dog teeth cleaning.
Our Pet Teeth Cleaning Services in Madison, WI
With routine cleanings as well as diligent at-home care, we can prevent dental disease altogether. In order to provide your pet with a thorough and complete dental evaluation and cleaning, it’s necessary to use general anesthesia. For every procedure requiring anesthesia, we use the highest safety standards in the industry to minimize any risk for your pet.
Our cat and dog teeth cleaning services include:
- Digital dental X-rays to fully examine your pet’s entire mouth, including the health of roots and bone beneath the gumline
- Thorough cleaning with both ultrasonic and hand scalers to remove built-up plaque and tartar on teeth both above and below the gum line
- Polishing of each tooth to smooth the enamel and reduce future plaque and tartar build-up
- Fluoride sealant to further protect teeth
- Extractions of damaged teeth*
*Extractions are a last resort for teeth that are damaged beyond repair. Our goal is to provide effective professional dental care as well as empower you to provide daily home dental care so we can prevent your pet’s teeth from ever getting to this level!
Why Home Pet Dental Care is So Important
Your pet’s dental health doesn’t begin and end with professional teeth cleanings! You play an essential role in their dental care, too. Brushing your pet’s teeth daily is the most effective way to prevent tartar buildup; however, we also realize it’s one of the most difficult. If your cat or dog is resistant to teeth brushing, there are other options! Some other effective home care products include:
- Finger brushes which are sometimes better tolerated by pets
- Dental treats that have special enzymes in them to break down tartar on the teeth
- Prescription dental diets that fight tartar build-up with every bite